Please see at the bottom of the page for calls for applications and deadlines.
- Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) are exchange visits aimed at supporting individual mobility, strengthening existing networks and fostering collaboration between researchers. A STSM should specifically contribute to the scientific objectives of the COST Action, whilst at the same time allowing those partaking in the missions to learn new techniques, gain access to specific data, instruments and / or methods not available in their own institutions / organisations.
STSM applicants must be engaged in an official research programme as a PhD Student or postdoctoral fellow or can be employed by, or affiliated to, an Institution or legal entity which has within its remit a clear association with performing research. Each Action has budget for a limited number of STSMs and these are approved by the MC through a competitive evaluation process. Please click here for a detailed view of the COST Vademecum Section 7: Short-Term Scientific Missions.
Here is some (selected) specific information on STSMs:
- STSMs can have a duration from one week (5 working days) to three months.
- Financial support covers travel and subsistence and is based on a fixed grant based on the applicant's request and can be up to €2500.
- Applicants should register online via the site www.cost.eu/STSM , login in e-COST and click on "STSM Application" on the menu available on the left.The application requires detailed information such as planned dates and length of stay, title of the STSM, short CV and description of the proposed work plan and how it contributes to the scientific objectives of the work programme and the WG/WGs involved.
- The Applicant should normally be engaged in a research programme as a post graduate student or as a postdoctoral fellow. He/she may also be an employee in an institution of a COST country participating in MemoCIS. Early stage researchers are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The completed application form, along with a written agreement of the host institution, should be sent via email – as an attachment to the Chair of the STSM Management Sub-Committee.
- The STSM has to be approved by the MC of the Action through evaluation. The evaluation criteria are found here
- After the STSM, the grantee should submit a scientific report to the host institution (for information) and the STSM Coordinating Committee. A brief PowerPoint presentation or a poster regarding the research activities during the STSM should also be submitted.
- The grant is paid after the STSM is completed. Failure to submit the scientific report within 30 days will effectively cancel the grant.
- In the MemoCIS Action, applicants are encouraged to apply for STSMs across domains (e.g., from WG2 to an institution working in WG4). Early stage researchers and female Action participants are strongly encouraged to apply for these STSMs. If you are interested to apply for these STSMs, please follow the directions provided in the links above and submit your applications. There will be a number of calls for STSMs around the year. Calls and deadlines appear below.
- The maximum amount that each applicant may request for his/her STSM is 2000 Euro for stays less than two months and 2500 EUR for stays over two months. It is expected that 10-15 STSMs will be approved. Applicants that request a low budget or applicants that will have their STSM reimbursed partly by the host or the sending organization will be viewed favorably (please state this in your application forms). STSMs longer than 3 weeks will also be viewed favorably.
Fifth STSM call:
Deadline for applications: 10th September 2017
Results announcement: 24th September 2017
Implemenation Period: 1st October 2017– 1st February 2018
Fourth STSM call:
Deadline for applications: 15th January 2017
Results announcement: 24th January 2017
Implemenation Period: 1st February – 7th April , 2017
Fourth STSM Reports can be found here*
Third STSM call:
Deadline for applications: 15th September 2016
Results announcement: 19th September 2016
Implemenation Period: September 26, 2016 – January 31, 2017
Third STSM Reports can be found here*
Second STSM call:
Deadline for applications:
1st October 2015 15th October 2015
Results announcement: November 2015
Implemenation Period: November 15, 2015 – January 29, 2016
Second STSM Reports can be found here*
First STSM call:
Deadline for applications:
1st May 2015 10th May 2015
Results announcement: 30th May 2015
Implemenation Period: June 15, 2015 – December 30, 2015
First Call's STSM Reports can be found here*
*For access to the restricted training material you must be a member of the COST Action. If you don't have a login and password yet, please contact Marios Sophocleous